My name is Jessica Ete (pronounced "eh-tay"...you may see this written with accent aigus elsewhere because no-one knows how to say it). I was born and raised in London. Languages, frameworks and tools I've worked with in the past include:
...and of course, jQuery!
Apr 2020 - Present
I currently work as a software engineer at FutureLearn, an online education platform partially owned by the Open University. Whilst there I've contributed to their Ruby on Rails monolith and some of their React code. I joined fairly recently so it's still early days but so far the work and the team have been awesome!
- The Royal Pharmaceutical Society
Feb 2019 - Nov 2019
Worked as a senior backend developer on an engineering team that rarely got anything done (at a worthless company that I am currently suing in an Employment Tribunal over discrimination and whistleblowing victimisation). Whilst there I was expected to pick up the pieces left behind by the violent, misogynistic, arsehole who'd originally built their shitty infrastructure and tolerate physical harassment from an idiotic karen. I can't stress enough how disgusted I am to have ever been associated with a team that was so toxic and pointless. It is my belief that their problems are institutional and that they are incapable of reform.
Jul 2017 - Feb 2019I worked as a backend software engineer on the Growth team and worked on a variety of projects, mostly older Rails applications though our more recent services were written in Scala. I also had the opportunity to coach at Rails Girls, get involved with the Tech Org's Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging committee, participate in the Functional Programming in Scala reading group and I even gave a short tech talk about the work we had done in Scala during our Consumer Engineering Conference.
I'm actually on LinkedIn but I still haven't really worked out what I'm supposed to use it for. I worked in IT for a few years after sixth-form but, like, I don't anymore.
You may or may not be interested to know that:
- I'm not French (sorry)
- I tend to score as an INTP when I take MBTI tests but it's been a while
- I listen to music sometimes - mostly just alternative or whatever passed for punk back when I was thirteen. Increasingly, I find I listen to far too many podcasts
- Back in late 2017 I took up dance, specifically Zouk. I apparently no longer suck at it which, considering how rubbish I was at PE as a kid, is pretty good!
- I know a mouse-hunter named QT. Saying that I own him makes me feel guilty but, like, I did pay for him once. I think he likes me
- In 2015 I thought doing this to a laptop was a good idea
- I have a Twitter account if you'd like to follow/tweet.