My name is Jessica Ete (pronounced "eh-tay"...you may see this written with accent aigus elsewhere because no-one knows how to say it). I was born and raised in London. Languages, frameworks and tools I've worked with in the past include:
...and of course, jQuery!
Apr 2020 - Present
I currently work as a software engineer at FutureLearn, an online education platform partially owned by the Open University. So far so good.
- The Royal Pharmaceutical Society
Feb 2019 - Nov 2019
Worked as a senior backend developer on the worst engineering team I've had the misfortune of working for (and at a company that I am now suing). Whilst there I worked on greenfield Scala/Slick projects as well as some of our legacy Play applications. I also gained Dev Ops experience by contributing to the Puppet and Terraform configuration, learning about user administration in the LDAP directory and generally picking up the pieces left behind by the violent, misogynistic (and probably racist) arsehole who'd originally built their shoddy infrastructure.
Jul 2017 - Feb 2019I worked as a backend software engineer on the Growth team and worked on a variety of projects, mostly older Rails applications though our more recent services were written in Scala. I also had the opportunity to coach at Rails Girls, get involved with the Tech Org's Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging committee, participate in the Functional Programming in Scala reading group and I even gave a short tech talk about the work we had done in Scala during our Consumer Engineering Conference.
I'm actually on LinkedIn but I still haven't really worked out what I'm supposed to use it for. I worked in IT for a few years after sixth-form but, like, I don't anymore.
You may or may not be interested to know that:
- I'm not French (sorry)
- I tend to score as an INTP when I take MBTI tests but it's been a while
- I listen to music sometimes - mostly just alternative or whatever passed for punk back when I was thirteen. Increasingly, I find I listen to far too many podcasts
- Back in late 2017 I took up dance, specifically Zouk. I apparently no longer suck at it which, considering how rubbish I was at PE as a kid, is pretty good!
- I know a mouse-hunter named QT. Saying that I own him makes me feel guilty but, like, I did pay for him once. I think he likes me
- In 2015 I thought doing this to a laptop was a good idea
- I have a Twitter account if you'd like to follow/tweet.